Build It Green’s Membership and Professional Certification have been consolidated into one program.
Build It Green's certification increases your credibility and differentiates you in the marketplace. It signifies that you are actively learning and growing to learn best practices in residential design and construction, and are credible in understanding and educating others on the green building framework. Our Certified Green Building Professionals and GreenPoint Raters and Advisors are respected throughout the industry. Your certification is also required for you to be listed in our Certified Green Professional Directory, which allows homeowners, architects, and builders the ability to find green building professionals like you.
With a GreenPoint Rated certification you also gain access to valuable tools and resources for conducting ratings, exclusive GreenPoint Rated webinars, and updates through the GreenPoint Rated Rater eNewsletter.
What Are the Requirements?
To be an active member and be listed in our Certified Professionals Directory, we require the following:
1. Attend a Build It Green training program and earn certification in at least one of the following: Certified Green Building Professional, GreenPoint Rated Advisor, GreenPoint Rater for New Home Existing Home Single Family, Existing Home and/or Multifamily
2. Submit required Continuing Education Units (1 hour green building education = 1 CEU)
|Certification||Continuing Education Units|
|Certified Green Building Professional or GreenPoint Rated Advisor||2|
Note: Renewing your GreenPoint Rated certifications automatically renews your Certified Green Building Professional certification.
3. **GreenPoint Raters Only** - Complete the online GreenPoint Rated Certification Renewal Exam to ensure proper understanding of the GreenPoint Rated program and applicable program changes or updates.
4. Pay annual membership fee. Payment portal is available in your Build It Green account profile. Log-in here.
Basic - $49
- Professional Directory listing for those with Build It Green Certifications that can be updated to include profile photo, contact information and a list of other relavent services offered
- Free access to online live webinars
Professional - $199
- Benefits of Basic Membership +
- $50 discount on each in-depth training
- Featured Listing in our Professional Directory for those with Build It Green certifications
- Free access to our LMS Webinar Library
More on Continuing Education Units
- Unless stated otherwise by the provider, CEUs are typically granted as 1 unit for every 1 hour of instruction.
- CEUs must be completed within 12 months of the certification expiration date or the date of renewal, if certifications have already expired.
- CEUs are only awarded for advanced building trainings that are related to one or more aspects of high performance buildings or green building. Topics can include energy, water, or resource efficiency, indoor air quality, community design, etc.
- Applicants are responsible for tracking all of their CEUs and should have proof of attendance for all coursework in the form of a certificate, an email from the training provider confirming your attendance, or any similar document. Applicants must submit their CEUs using the CEU Form. (Note: This applies to just trainings taken outside of Build It Green)
Earning CEUs through Build It Green
- Depending on the type of certifications you hold and your background, you may receive CEUs by signing up for Build It Green trainings. Visit the Event Calendar to sign up for upcoming events. We also have on-demand courses in our Learning Management System (LMS). Create a Talent LMS account to access "Advancing Framing" ($50, 2 CEUs) or "HVAC Fundamentals" ($50, 2 CEUs).
Earning CEUs from Other Providers
There are other on-line and in-person trainings that can count towards your CEU requirements, including expos and conference sessions. Please contact Build It Green to see if specific trainings qualify.
How Long Does Renewal Take Once Everything is Submitted?
The Education department will review the completed submission form. If the materials meet the recertification requirements, Build It Green will renew your directory listing and send you a notification stating this within two business days of submitting all your materials.